Providing CFO services and Business Transition Services in Southern California
Newport Beach, CA CFO
37 Years of Experience
Certificates & Licenses:
Contact Allan Maguire and receive a free Discovery Analysis™
- A confidential meeting with the business owner(s), then interview company staff.
- Look at the company’s financial information and computer systems.
- Benchmark financial information against industry averages.
- Create a confidential report of our findings in The Strategy Gameplan™
Al has more than 25 years of extensive business experience as a senior financial executive and trusted advisor to CEOs and business owners of public and privately held companies. He has been the Chief Financial Officer for companies ranging from startup through to $300 million. Al's industry experience includes retail, hospitality, consumer products, manufacturing and distribution, consulting, and aerospace and defense. He has successfully applied innovative thinking and problem solving, strategic analysis and plan implementation. Al has been called a "realignment CFO" and a "pain reliever" because of his ability to quickly make an impact.
Al's experience as a CFO extends to virtually every aspect of a business's financial and operating needs. In addition to turn-arounds, building, rebuilding and managing financial teams of all sizes and complexity, he has also had direct management responsibility for HR, IT, Credit & Collections, Risk Management, Operations, Contracts, and Customer Service. The commonality has been his ability to work with his peers and mentor teams to achieve the company's goals. He believes, "If you are not serving the customer directly, you should be serving those that are."
Al has successfully managed companies through accelerated growth as well as through downturns. He has had key roles in 25 mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and was the lead in the last 10. He has completed numerous financings and recapitalizations including bank debt, private placements and IPOs. He has successfully developed and maintained financing relationships with banks, investors and other sources of funds.
Other areas of expertise include:
- Cash flow and working capital management
- Operational evaluation & improvement
- Cost and profit analysis/product margin and pricing analysis
- Expense reduction and cost containment
- Timely and accurate financial reporting, analysis, and presentation
- Strategic planning, budgeting, cash forecasting, and financial projections
- Development and translation of Key Performance Indicator (KPI) dashboards and understanding the underlying levers available to affect improvements
- Business restructuring, turnarounds, and vendor relations
- ERP/accounting software review, selection through to implementation
- Bank and alternative financing
- Human resources and risk management
- Banking, CPA, attorney, and insurance relationships
Al brings passion and enthusiasm to his job and the companies he serves. He is a straightforward and detailed communicator who is equally effective with boards, investors, management, and staff. Honesty, integrity, and enjoyment are core values that have led to success throughout his career.
Al graduated from Fanshawe College in London, Ontario, Canada and is a CPA, CGA (Canadian equivalent to a CPA in the US). He and his family moved to California more than 20 years ago. He is a US Citizen and holds a DoD Secret clearance. He, his wife and two sons reside in Orange County, California. Al enjoys golfing, basketball, reading and travel.